Create new record from URL

This topic is 1524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to create a new record from a URL, getting the record number from the URL. As an example, I'd like a user to be able to click on a link pointing to a URL like www.domain.com/databasename?recid=A1234 and that would open a browser window, take the user to a data entry form (such as name + email), create a new record, paste A1234 in the recid field, and go to the first name field.  I've been looking at the Open URL script step but can't figure out how to do this. I'd appreciate advice on whether this is possible using Webdirect and how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by rcacciato

Do you expect the user to already be inside WebDirect when they click the URL, or outside of webdirect?

If they are outside of webdirect and you don't want them to be challenged for credentials then you would potentially make your webdirect-exposed file vulnerable.

Sounds like you just need a form solution?  What is that needs to happen after the user submits the entry form?

No, the user will be coming from outside. This is a public application to register a serial number for a consumer product. The user will scan a code on a package to read a url with a registration number to register an item and the user’s browser will open the registration form. I need FM to enter the registration number in a field so the user doesn’t have to enter it manually. Thanks. 

I wouldn't do this with WebDirect, I would put a form using whatever web technology you prefer and make it talk to the FMS Data API.

It's going to be a lot more secure than trying to allow anonymous access to your solution through WebDirect.

If you want to do it through webdirect then the URL would be more complex than your example since it has to include the name of the file and the name of a script and then pass the serial as a parameter to that script.

You can hide the file name and script name by using a custom web page that acts as a go-between but then you're close enough to my suggested solution that I would go custom web publishing completely and forgo WebDirect.

This topic is 1524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.