Portal Sorting Options

This topic is 1512 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey... thanks in advance for reading.

I am using portals to display "Active" projects in my office. When you set up a portal, naturally, you set up a relationship and then you might set up a sort order, in my case, I am sorting by "Job Number." Unless, I am missing something or having a brain aneurism, which very well might be the case, I want to make a button to change the sort option on the fly. In my case, I would love to sort by "Due Date, Job Number or Customer" and perhaps with a button, but I just don't think that can be done...right? You set the portal up and the sort value is what you choose in the set up phase only.

You might winding up telling me how to do this and it is so simple that I will be embarrassed and we can all laugh together.

My back ups were to get creative with Tabs. Within each tab, each portal would be built with the sorting I predefine. Or I can do list views in an alternate layout, but truthfully, I love the way portals look work and feel and they work fantastically in web browsers.

So, that's my evening! Thanks for reading, contributing and perhaps laughing with me.

Mike

Basically, you have two options: 

1. Use 3 portals, each defined to sort by a different field, and show only one of them based on the user's choice;

2. Sort the portal by an unstored calculation field, where the value is calculated according to the user's choice held in a global field/variable.

Each approach has its own pros and cons. The two main problems with the 2nd approach are accommodating different data types and performance (these two are related: the more comprehensive the solution of the first problem is, the slower it gets).

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

This topic is 1512 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.