Playing external mp3 from file path

This topic is 1493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I all,

I have a (text) field in my Music Database that has the full file path for every mp3 of my external HDD (around 50.000 classical music mp3s).

It would be wonderful if I could use this file path (in text format) to open externally (or internally) the related mp3 file on my external hard drive in a (hopefully) simple way.

I have Filemaker Pro 16 Advenced and I'm a real newbie at this...

Many thanks in advance.

path.jpg

1 hour ago, comment said:

Thanks. The ideia was not using a container field because that makes me "insert" each mp3 into the field (a lot of work!).

I already have the file path in that field so I was hoping there was a simple solution...

2 minutes ago, pianoman said:

The ideia was not using a container field because that makes me "insert" each mp3 into the field (a lot of work!).

I am afraid you are missing a central point of the suggestion made in the other thread: the idea is to take the OS file path you have and use it in a calculation field to produce a Filemaker path.  If you set the result type to Container, it will behave just as if you had inserted each mp3 into the field - i.e. you can double-click it to play.

Note also the other two options mentioned there.

4 hours ago, comment said:

I am afraid you are missing a central point of the suggestion made in the other thread: the idea is to take the OS file path you have and use it in a calculation field to produce a Filemaker path.  If you set the result type to Container, it will behave just as if you had inserted each mp3 into the field - i.e. you can double-click it to play.

Note also the other two options mentioned there.

Sorry. I didn't realize that. I'l look into it then.
Thanks again

Just looked into it and realized it's too much for me...I need more specific instructions because my level of Filemaker programming is prety basic...

I got HERE and I suspect I'm near but couldn't get a result. And to get it worse my scripts are in portuguese.

1 hour ago, comment said:

Scripts have nothing to do with this. Try defining a calculation field as =

"movie:/" & Substitute ( Path ; "\\" ; "/" )

and select Container as the result type.

It worked !!!!!

Thank you! thank you so much for your precious help!

This topic is 1493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.