Virtual memory swap file

This topic is 1471 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

This the last thing I need to implement on our Server as per FileMaker's installation and configuration guide:
Make the virtual memory swap file a static size so Windows doesn’t attempt to adjust it. Use the recommended file size amount

Am I right in thinking that this is in the attached section?

If so, on which drives should I be specifying the swap file size? And what would the initial and maximum size be?

Thank you1462840878_pagefile.PNG.8d1df8b6cc4f7e4c8d57903d625d2473.PNG

Use the fastest drive since this will potentially generate a fair bit of disk reads and writes.

As to the ideal size": we cannot answer that since there are million variables at play for this, it heavily depends on the nature and design of your solution and anything in it that requires server-side memory (schedules, PSoS, WebD, Data API, ....)

Also carefully consider how high to set the FMS cache, don't set it too high or you'll crowd what the OS can use and this will cause more frequent swap-outs of its memory to disk.

Use the available monitoring tools.  Set the FMS cache to 1GB and check the FMS stats.log.  Use Windows Perfmon (or an extended monitoring tool like Zabbix) to figure out how much memory the system is using and how it uses the swap files).  Until you have a clear picture, I wouldn't try to set a fixed swap file or if you do, then definitely check it almost constantly for the first week or so to make sure you have it right.

This topic is 1471 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.