Help with multiple relational paths

apinrise

This topic is 1435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm getting the ol' "There cannot be more than one relational path between any two tables in one graph." alert. 

The main set-up of my database is to track Prints and Image. Images are the parent record and they can have multiple Print children.

I have also created a table of Groupings, where I can group Prints and Images together, for an exhibition idea--so both Prints and Images can be grouped.

Since Prints and Images can belong to multiple Groupings, and Groupings can have multiple Images and Prints, I have set-up a join table.

786806999_ScreenShot2020-04-23at5_47_44PM.thumb.png.1a539dc80f80d7dac108c5986059fde6.png

The problem is, from the main Images layout, I want to be able to attach that Image to a Grouping, but in order to do so I would need to change the Layout table to Images Grouped, which feels clumsy and bad practice. How can I allow my program to be able to attach Groupings from the main Prints and main Images layouts? I have a feeling that I'm going to need to create a more cumbersome ERD, but wanted to see what folks here recommend for best practice.

Hope I've explained that well enough. Thanks in advance for the advice.

may be a case where you use a card window via a script 

• Button on main image table - store what ever primary keys you need
  • open new window in a card view on a layout you need  perform a find for the grouping you want
  • assign what you need from stored variable(s) creating join if necessary
  • close window. 

there is a concept of GTRR hop where if you relate a table to self but the target layout is based on another TOG you will be on the same record on that context.

images ---- imagesSelf  being the same base table.

GTRR to imagesSelf but use layout based on Images Group in a new window.

This topic is 1435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.