Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Styling of button setup applied to a text label

This topic is 1452 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

When adding a "button setup" to a text label, how can one control the different states (pressed, hover) styling.

FMP creates a group item that includes the text label, but there is no 'button' item to modify, just the 'group' item which has no states.

When clicking the label, a 'greyed out' overlay is added to the group including the label text color.

This is what I would like to remove.

Hover                                                                    Pressed (mouse click)

hover.png             pressed.png

In Layout mode, click the button again to select the text object grouped within the button. Or select it directly using the Objects pane. Then you will able to select Pressed state and assign it a solid color of your choosing.

• Newbies
19 hours ago, comment said:

In Layout mode, click the button again to select the text object grouped within the button. Or select it directly using the Objects pane. Then you will able to select Pressed state and assign it a solid color of your choosing.

None of the state styles of the underlying text object specify a bg fill.

I suspect this is 'hard coded' behavior but was hoping to be wrong.

12 hours ago, Gerald said:

None of the state styles of the underlying text object specify a bg fill.

I am afraid you are missing the point: If you do specify a fill color for the Pressed state, it will cover the default grey you are trying to eliminate. If you select the color of the background, then nothing will change when the button is pressed.

Correction: I made an unfortunate mistake of testing this against a greyish background that masked the greying effect. After selecting a fill color more similar to yours, the grey overlay is still visible.

Edited by comment

What do you see as an advantage of assigning button behavior to text? The group aspect of it in the object palette is a significant drawback for me. A button style can take care if any “look” you’re trying to achieve. 

10 minutes ago, bcooney said:

What do you see as an advantage of assigning button behavior to text?

For example, not having to override the button's style. But that's beside the point: I take exception to any advice to take a tool out of the toolbox.

This topic is 1452 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.