Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Issue with Charts

This topic is 1446 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys, 

I have a bunch of company data based in Country: USA, UK and Europe. 

I have a table which has each country  listed next to the company.

I seem to have an issue  in making a Pie Chart which simply shows a split between the records and the information I've added. 

I thought it was an issue of not summarising groups as records, but even with this pressed, I'm not getting what I thought would happen!

Can anyone shed any light on this? 

Also, on the subject of Charts - if I have a perfect layout with a chart only, can I insert it into one of my 'Printer Page' layouts, without having to make a new chart etc? 

Thanks!

N

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 10.43.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 10.43.27 PM.png

Your screenshot shows that your records are sorted by Company. If you want a slice per Country, you need to sort by Country. And to get a meaningful chart, your slice data needs to be some numerical value - e.g. a count of companies by country.

Of course, I am purely guessing here. I don't really know what you mean by:

14 minutes ago, Neil Scrivener said:

a Pie Chart which simply shows a split between the records and the information I've added. 

and have no idea what you "thought would happen":

17 minutes ago, Neil Scrivener said:

I'm not getting what I thought would happen!

That seems to be working, thanks!

The way I've gone about making these charts is to go into Table View -> Use the arrows to make a chart. 

This makes a new Layout with a chart on it. 

Is there a way that I can 'insert' the other Chart into another layout, such as a PDF document? 

Thanks!

N

And sorry, one other question: 

Once you make a chart, is the data always 'live' or will it ever need to be re-sorted and/or updated? 

3 hours ago, Neil Scrivener said:

The way I've gone about making these charts is to go into Table View -> Use the arrows to make a chart. 

This makes a new Layout with a chart on it. 

???
I am not familiar with the procedure you describe.

Is there a way that I can 'insert' the other Chart into another layout, such as a PDF document? 

A chart is a layout object; you can copy it to another layout, but then it will be a new chart. You can also copy the chart's image and paste it into a global container field; such field can be displayed on any layout. However, the image will be a bitmap image with limited resolution; if you want to go that route, make the source chart at least 3 times bigger than the intended print size.

Once you make a chart, is the data always 'live' or will it ever need to be re-sorted and/or updated? 

"[C]harts update dynamically as data changes. Charts that display summary data remain accurate as long as you maintain the required sort order. If you change the sort order, the chart may no longer show your data comparison."

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/18/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help%2Fcreating-charts.html%23

This topic is 1446 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.