Changing name in dropdown

This topic is 1352 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am a newbee.  I installed the inventory platform to place my household inventory should I ever have a homeowners fire insurance claim.  I have a field called "Location" where it produces a dropdown where one of the items is called "Office."  See photo attached.    I retired and have no further need of an office and would like change its name to "Hobby Room."  I tried going into Fields>File>Manage Database and Manage Fields both in the regular and edit fields without success.  See photo.  I appreciate the help and thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.37.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.52.39 AM.png

If the value list is defined to show values from the Location field, then the drop-down will continue to show the "Office" option for as long as there is at least one item whose location is  "Office".

If you want to add the option to select  "Hobby Room", you must type it manually as the location of at least one item. 

If you want to change all items whose location is currently "Office" to "Hobby Room", you must find them and replace the contents of their Location field.

3 minutes ago, sburech said:

After I change all items whose location is currently "office" to "Hobby Room" can I delete "office" from the dropdown?

After you change all items whose location is currently "Office" to "Hobby Room", the item "Office" will no longer appear in the drop-down - with no further action required (or possible) on your part. Again, this is assuming that the value list is defined to show values from the Location field.

Thank you so much for your time.  Everything worked as you said it would.  Could you recommend a good text book or video where I might learn the basics of FM, not for commercial purposes but for household and hobby purposes.

2 minutes ago, sburech said:

Could you recommend a good text book or video

Not me, but perhaps others.

I will add this, though: the cause of the problem you described is flawed structure. You should have a separate table of Locations and a relationship based on matching LocationID. This would allow you to simply change the name of the location in the Locations table and have all the associated inventory items remain related to the same location with its new name.

This topic is 1352 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.