Need help with table relationship

This topic is 1352 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to build a database "Staff Leave", which will records staff leave daily etc. This is currently being done manually on excel (check example below).

Excel:

Capture.thumb.PNG.fff794ac33f4f92499358f3860ecc13b.PNG

So based on that excel, I'm trying to come up with a similar design on a filemaker database. I've tried a few but with no luck.. So i've come up with something like below which uses a portal to imitate what looks like the one on the excel.

Filemaker:

Capture2.PNG.f0e6c6fae438e2e62cd9f4b84dc0a7d4.PNG

Capture1.thumb.PNG.d696a415c288cd2c79ebd644e5513101.PNG

This seems to be working fine. But the problem that I'm facing is when it comes to printing this leave records on this portal. I really have no clue on how to accomplish this, I really need someone to point me in the right direction or make correction/suggestions etc... on how to print this to come out like the one looking on the excel. Please note that the leave records of staff will continue down the portal and a scroll bar will appear when its full to allow more entries... so I would also like the option to print maybe just the records of the year 2020 or certain date ranges, etc... I can't wrap my head around this atm so I really need your expert advice to get me going again plz.

I tried list view but I'm not sure what to do there cos it didn't turn out like the one in the portal or the excel. Its like per line per user... and I want 1 user multiple lines like that portal (or excel).. I tried changing the relationship by adding a mid-table between User and Leave tables and based my list layout on the mid-table and it seems to work 1 user multiple lines like the portal/excel but then every new line needs to be assigned to a user every time.

List View (with mid-table many to many relationship):

Capture4.PNG.ba58247834e3f8ef79281a0355c387cf.PNG

Capture5.thumb.PNG.42932552e5703d0f10a8c8f9263e744a.PNG

I know something is definitely wrong here... I just can't figure it out.

Please help.

Thank you and I appreciate your help in advance.

Maybe you want to use the portal for data entry and the list view for printing. That's a fairly typical setup.

• Like 1

This topic is 1352 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.