Filemaker and Filemaker Server

Chris CBS

This topic is 1248 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Total newbie question: 

I am a registered user of Filemaker Pro 15 (from back in the day). I am about to write an application for a small organisation to maintain contacts and workshop bookings. This needs to available remotely by one, maybe two users (and me).

There is a company that offers Filemaker Server 14 shared hosting at a reasonable cost (filemaker-hosting.co.uk). So, they licence FM Server 14, I have FM Pro 15, my client needs one or two copies of FileMaker Pro 19, yes? and will that interact successfully with an application on Filemaker Server 14.

Does my plan seem feasible? Any issues here? or any other way of approaching this situation.

Many thanks for your time and help.

I would strongly argue against that version of FMP depending on the end users computer and OS updates you may not be able to even run that version of FMP. 

FileMaker Server 19 can only be accessed by 18 and 19.  FileMaker 19 cannot access FMS servers < 18.

You can buy 5 users seat for $900USD per year Since FileMaker 15 there is no longer multi-tenancy hosting.  Each customer must have their own server software, that is why FM is sold as a platform you get access to server, desktop, web direct, and FMGo. If you need a data center for hosting let me know we can set you up with one in London.

• Newbies

I'm afraid most of that went over my head, but don't worry I catch up fast. 

Ao what I want to do is make filmmaker application to be accessed by 2 users remotely and managed be myself. The FM14 hosting is around £120 a year and the other two standalone copies of FM are currently on BOGOFF at £259 for two. 

So are you saying with one 5 seat version of FM19 at £900 per year  I can do the same thing?

Plus the hosting or is that included?

They seem to be different ballparks and, I have to say, for a small organisation running a fairly simple application totally over the top. 

I'm trying to stop myself having to do this with PHP/mySQL because I like Filemaker and the fact the UI is at least half built. 

Edited by Chris CBS

There are too many changes between 14 and 19 to develop on the same file.

Do you know what OS every user has? 14 and 15 may not run on MacOS High Sierra or greater. Conversely FM 19 will not run on anything less than HighSierra.

Yes Claris has a promotion right now buy one get one but that is just for FMP client. You will still need server to effectively share the file (and have backups)

Claris also has a cloud hosting plan that includes license and hosting however not sure they are in the UK and that starts at $1140USD for 5 users per year.

• Newbies

Well my last three applications is a user and me sharing a file that lives on dropbox. When I need to do maintenance I simply ask them to quit Filemaker. That costs virtual nothing except two stand alone licences.

Perhaps Claris aren't interested in small business any more. I can't sell a £1,000 a year solution before I've even put a single pixel in place. With a 3 year application lifetime that's £3,000 extra on the  PHP/mySQL development because the day-to-day costs are £0. 

(and the web integration (form capture for instance) is a lot simpler. 

It is a real shame because, the seriously crap layout interface apart,  Filemaker has some nice relational features. 

This topic is 1248 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.