Open image in photoshop Cc using Applescript

This topic is 1238 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi there,

I have been searching Adobe and Claris FileMaker forums to find out how to use AppleScript to open an image file in Photoshop.

Ideally, what I need is a way to open a RAW image file in Adobe's Camera Raw. From what I have found online so far, this is not (no longer) possible. So I will settle for opening images (raw or jpg or psd) in Photoshop CC proper (I have 2018 and 2019). I have what I believe is the right path to the file in a variable. Following what you have recommended to others, my FileMaker script copies the value in the variable to a global text field. That field is on the layout that is active when the Perform Applescript step runs.

Because of the quoting nightmare, I have chosen to try and capture the AppeScript commands in a calculation that looks like this:

"Tell application " & PHOTO::gQuote & "Adobe Photoshop CC" & PHOTO::gQuote & "¶Set filename to cell " & PHOTO::gQuote & "gPhotoName" & PHOTO::gQuote  & " in table " & PHOTO::gQuote & "Locations" & PHOTO::gQuote & "¶Open file " & PHOTO::gQuote  &  "filename" & PHOTO::gQuote & "¶End tell"

The result looks like this:

Tell application "Adobe Photoshop CC"
Set filename to cell "gPhotoName" in table "Locations"
Open file "filename"
End tell

I think the reason this is not working is because I am not sure what the AS command it to open the filename I declare.

Would you be able to help me with this?

For some background:

I have a solution that acts as the archive for my photography.
Not too long ago I used the 'Send Event' script in my archive to open files. This functionality has recently started failing.

As far as I know there have been no critical changes to the 'Send Event' step. My archive currently runs on an older Mac Pro with OS Sierra, which means I am limited on this machine to FM17. Which is fine, because I am using some other software that would not survive Catalina anyway. So my software/hardware set-up with regards to FileMaker has not changed - neither has the script. I suspect that recent updates by Adobe have now messed with my script. Which is why I was thinking to use AppleScript instead. But I have never used it and have trouble finding a list of commands and steps.

The setup of my archive solution is:
Table 'photo' contains relevant info with image name and camera used.
Table 'locations' contains records that refer to different file locations.

I have a consistent folder set-up for all my original image files that makes it easy to go through the Location records until I find a hit and then the image file is opened in Photoshop.

The location of the image file is calculated based on camera, year, month an filetype and results in a valid path that, when hard-coded in Script Editor, successfully opens in Photoshop. Example:

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CC 2018"

open file"/Volumes/KITTEN3/___MyPicsAndMovies/CANON/_CROriginals_2011_5D/01_jan/IMG_6966.CR2"

activate

end tell

This opens even RAW files in Photoshop and for now that is good enough for me. But how do I get the Perform Applescript to do the same based on dynamically calculated valid image file locations?

Looking forward to your feedback!

Nicky

This topic is 1238 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.