Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upload files from folder to ftp, but don't reupload already uploaded ones

jadzas

This topic is 1239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I have FM file converter that converts excel files into two csv files that needs to be uploaded. Ideally i want to leave it in the background, i know how to upload a specific file to ftp, but can't figure out what i need to do so it scans the folder and only uploads new files in that folder?

Any help/tips appreciated.

Hi Jadzas,

To give you the best answer, I would need to know a little bit more about your solution and set up.  Are these files being stored in a folder on your local machine, or are they being stored in FileMaker as well? Are these two csv files being created daily, and do they get new names or is it the same two files just being updated? Are you trying to keep copies of every csv that is generated, or are you interested in removing them locally after they are uploaded? Are you looking to automate this process so it runs as a scheduled script, or will there be any user interaction with the file? These are all questions that change how you might go about this.

In general, there is no single function that will automatically select the newest item in a local directory.  You could make a solution that still selects and uploads the files, but there are multiple approaches and no one right/wrong way. 

For example, uploading from containers in FileMaker could be an easier solution for you. A scheduled script could look for the record based on creation/modification timestamp or a status field.  

Another potential method would be to have a temporary folder that only stores files generated that day/given time period, and have a script scheduled to delete the contents of the folder after uploading. 

There are plenty of other ways you could go about this, some more complicated and some less. These are just general ideas to go from.  I feel quite sure you could ask 10 developers and get 10 answers of what to do, or for that matter not to do. 

I hope this is helpful. If you have any issues as you work with FTPeek, you are also welcome to email us at [email protected]

• Newbies

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply.
Yes, these files are stored in a folder on local machine. They are being created daily, and they have unique names. I'm fine with keeping the copies for history log in case i would need to validate some uploaded data. I want to leave it running on scheduled script without any user interaction, it FM runs on a VM. I would say even if i delete these csv files after upload that would work for me as i would still have these on ftp backup (if it's easiest way to just upload/delete files).

Thanks

This topic is 1239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.