Can't install FileMaker Server 19.2.1

jaboda

This topic is 1189 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to install FileMaker Server 19.2.1 on Windows Server 2019 (a Microsoft Azure VM).

However when I run the install it installs the prerequisites then shows the setup options dialogue (attached).

I've seen some people had the same issue on the Claris forums, but mainly with FileMaker Pro (which installed no problem). None of the suggested fixes worked.

If I try to install it once FileMaker Server 19.1.2 is installed it stops the installation from working and I have to run setup again with 'repair' to fix it.

Setup Error.png

After an e-mail exchange with Claris they provided a fix which might be useful to others.

By default the installer extracts to "FileMaker Server 19". However the Setup in that folder won't work if there are any spaces in the path name.

To fix the issue move the contents of that folder to somewhere without spaces in the name (for example C:\users\admin\downloads\FMS not C:\users\admin\downloads\FileMaker Server 19).

I am amazed and quite annoyed that this simple issue got through testing. I expect better from Claris. However thankfully the fix is simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good job and thanks for posting the solution. Just had this experience today -- luckily we remembered having this issue with some past installers. Why don't they just name the installer folder with no spaces to begin with?

2 hours ago, Fitch said:

Good job and thanks for posting the solution. Just had this experience today -- luckily we remembered having this issue with some past installers. Why don't they just name the installer folder with no spaces to begin with?

That wouldn't resolve the issue - if the installer is extracted in a folder with spaces in the name then it would fail.

I suspect they've missed out quotes when referring to the FMS msi package, which is just bad testing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fitch said:

I'm saying they should extract it to a folder with no spaces.

My reply perhaps wasn't clear.

Yes if the self-extractor created 'FMS' instead of 'FileMaker Server 19' that would resolve many of the issues if it's run from a folder without a space in it (for example 'C:\users\admin\Downloads').

However if it's run from 'C:\Users\John Smith\Downloads' or 'C:\FIleMaker Installers' then it would still fail.

Therefore they should fix the original issue. 19.1.2 worked properly so why not 19.2.1?

• Newbies
On 1/13/2021 at 5:52 AM, jaboda said:

After an e-mail exchange with Claris they provided a fix which might be useful to others.

By default the installer extracts to "FileMaker Server 19". However the Setup in that folder won't work if there are any spaces in the path name.

To fix the issue move the contents of that folder to somewhere without spaces in the name (for example C:\users\admin\downloads\FMS not C:\users\admin\downloads\FileMaker Server 19).

I am amazed and quite annoyed that this simple issue got through testing. I expect better from Claris. However thankfully the fix is simple.

Thank you jaboda

Removing the spaces from the extracted install folder did resolve the installation issue. Thank you for the posting.

I see what you're saying -- I hadn't considered that the whole path had to be space-free. I'll take your word for it and of course completely agree that Claris should fix it, especially since this isn't the first version to have this issue.

This topic is 1189 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.