For FileMaker hosted solution does anyone use $$VARIABLE for external data source?

This topic is 1134 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

For FileMaker hosted solution does anyone use $$VARIABLE for external data source? I'm able to make $$VARIABLE="file:filename" work, however $$VARIABLE="fmnet:/host/filename" does not.

In my case this would be $$FM16S00CONTACT="fm16s00.domain.tld/contact" and $$FM18S00CONTACT="fm18s00.domain.tld/contact"

This now works, however it's unclear to me what triggered this working. I have a startup script that sets the variables. I have configure the External Data Source with $$FM16S00CONTACT, and this works, however adding another data source does not work for now, I tried quitting FileMaker and relaunch.

Edited by ggt667

You cannot set $$vars to external data sources in the same script that uses them because FM will immediately retry to resolve the data sources. The solution  must open to a layout that does not need the data sources, like a splash screen. Then, have your startup script immediately call a separate set external data sources script. 

Not sure what you mean by "You cannot set $$vars to external data sources in the same script that uses them" I have a startup script that sets the $$vars. Then I push CMD + SHIFT + D to look at the relationships, the relationship is there, and I can always select the relationship, however it does not always show the tables. There is nothing on any layout of the launch file yet; hence there is only a splash screen.

I have the External Data Source of type FileMaker named `Contact` set to: $$FM16S00CONTACT, based on the startup script setting the variable `$$FM16S00CONTACT="fmnet:/fm16s00.domain.tld/contact"`

Edited by ggt667

This topic is 1134 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.