Allow read-only users to select specific records from a found set

This topic is 1067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout that finds a list of results based on a group of fields. 

I now want the user to be able choose which of those found records they want to print in a report. I am thinking adding a "print me" checkbox to each record.

To do this, I think I need to add a field to the table called "print me" and set the checkbox to "checked". They simply uncheck the box to omit the record if they don't want it.

But, that means they have to have Write privileges, right?

1) Is this the way to do something like this?

2) If so, is there a way to allow users to modify only one field (print me)?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Dono K said:

Is this the way to do something like this?

Certainly not. If you want to enable users to "mark" records, you must do so in a way that allows each user to mark their own records, without interfering with other users' markings, and without being obstructed by records being locked by other users. You also don't want records to become modified by the act of marking.

The correct way to mark records is to place their unique IDs in a variable or a global field. You can have a visual indicator of a record being so marked (or not) by placing a conditionally formatted object on the layout. Or an unstored calculation field, if you prefer.

Note that global fields can be modified even if users do not have record edit privileges in that table. Or they could be in another table. You speak of "Write privileges" - I am not sure what exactly that means. 

3 hours ago, Dono K said:

is there a way to allow users to modify only one field (print me)?

This question should be redundant by now, but I'll just note that you can assign custom access privileges to each field. 

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

This topic is 1067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.