Is there a sub forum on here for system architecture brain food?

This topic is 1011 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a sub forum on here for system architecture brain food?

For example I will build a new system now and would like to have some input on the KPIs in which are

• On-Prem
  • Operations have a preference for High Sierra on their workstations; due to the obvious cover flow view in Finder.
  • I would prefer to use FileMaker 5.5 and 19 Server on linux

Which versions of FileMaker will work in combination with High Sierra and FileMaker 19 Server? Is this page up to date? https://ithelp.brown.edu/kb/articles/high-sierra-macos-10-13-what-works

Also do you know of any good sync between FileMaker 5.5 Server and FileMaker 19 Server? I have not yet found a good approach to using FileMaker 19 Server running against FileMaker in MacOS 9.2.2( using this approach and system bridging on the workstations https://asciinema.org/a/zSeXCawvuh9mKAtGePgS59Fh8 in combination with host enabled bridging for access to DAS, mainly for working with Quark XPress 4.x Passport and older fonts utilizing Fontographer )

Edited by ggt667

High Sierra is macOS version 10.13, so you'd need FileMaker Pro 18 there.

You should migrate database from FM 5.5 to current one, which may involving converting it to newer format with FileMaker 11 and then converting again with FileMaker 18 or 19.

The FileMaker Server 19 may still let FMP 18 connect.

4 minutes ago, MonkeybreadSoftware said:

High Sierra is macOS version 10.13, so you'd need FileMaker Pro 18 there.

You should migrate database from FM 5.5 to current one, which may involving converting it to newer format with FileMaker 11 and then converting again with FileMaker 18 or 19.

The FileMaker Server 19 may still let FMP 18 connect.

Does FileMaker 11 run on MacOS 9.2.2? AFAIK FileMaker 7-11 does not run on Linux, I'm trying to get rid of MacOS X and Windows server side, the alternative for MacOS 9.2.2 clients is to write a HTML4 frontend for FileMaker 19 Server, however that will remove some FileMaker relationship dynamics that still some technical people from operations are used to be able to tweak in order to propose new business logic.

Edited by ggt667

Temporary conclusion:

• For the MacOS X 10.13 High Sierra environment FileMaker 18 Pro and FileMaker 19 Server Ubuntu virtualized in Joyent SmartOS / BHYVE
  • For the Mac Classic environment I will simply keep running the old environment and using my very own sync using FMPXMLRESULT import and export via DAS / SAN.
Edited by ggt667

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.