Is developing in Filemaker faster?

This topic is 996 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Forum!

Im unsure if this belongs here please feel free to move this entry to the right place if need be.

In the last 35 years, I have programmed in SQL, MySQL, Oracle and Filemaker.  Native as well as Web Interfaces.

I consistenty find that for writing a native interface for a local inhouse database, the development time required is *way* faster with filemaker compared to the other comparable technologies.

(Yes we all agree if you want a zillion clicks a second we need Oracle, but for the rest of the 99% of us who dont need that...)

I estimate the development time for a local inhouse database is about three times faster.

I dont need to create multiple Screens/Masks, I dont need routines to deal with Umlauts and accents and so on, the list just goes on and on.

I have explained this to a client but alas, he does not really believe me. I have seen other Filemaker developers make similar claims (rightly so in my opinion).

So my question is to all of you who have programmed in SQL, MySQL or Oracle as well as Filemaker is:

Do you agree that the same solution to build a local in house database, takes a lot less time to develop in Filemaker?

My clients always get estimates for the same work in SQL or MySQL that are 2-3 times higher than mine. This always seems to verify the axiom.

Unfortunately there dont seem to be any studies related to this.

Can you tell us your experience and comment on the statement above?

We would be most grateful.

If someone knows a study...thanks!

Spongebob

Absolutely FileMaker is faster in terms of idea to app.  

Many refer to FMP as a RAD (rapid application development ) And on top of it the foundation of building an FMP app the developer doesn't necessarily have to be fully disciplined every aspect such as data modeling. (it does help) We get a lot of freebies that other platforms can't take advantages of. 

FMP developers tend to be generalists where they can build the logic, the structure and the interface where as other platforms I imagine there is more specialization one guy that does the database and then another team that does the interface.

Just look at the Claris YouTube videos that spotlight this, I don't think a solution like this could have been developed and deployed in the time frame needed on another conventional platforms. 

Ocean West thanks so much!

Love your Douglas Adams quote. Did you know he also said:

"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money and that thing is sincerity and integrity."

all the best
Spongebob

This topic is 996 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.