Remote Access via TCP/IP on Windows

This topic is 7857 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have someone that I am trying to get connected to Filemaker via TCP/IP that has a PC with Windows XP. I have others (Mac and PC) that can connect with out any problem at all. I have walked through the setup of FileMaker and the preferences are set to TCP/IP. The person has an internet connection that works (I get lots of email from her) but when she does a Hosts and Specify IP address she can type in the IP address but the OK button is greyed out.

I have had her check the dial up settings and they specify TCP/IP connections.

I have a feeling it is Windows XP and Security or Filewall setting. I don't know Windows XP (I am a Mac Person with limited Windows 98SE experience. Also wwhen she starts FileMaker she automatically dials her ISP.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Make sure that she is entering the correct IP address... some computers are setup with different NIC cards or virtual cards (AOL) and the often give an IP that means nothing to anyone but itself.

Also, if she is behind a Firewall (in the office), in order to do this they would need to have port a specific port oppen inorder for this to work. I can't remember what it is, but it's in the manual.

OR you can start up the webcompanion and have her enter in your IP address from a browser and she can work that way...

~Addam~

We ran into this problem a couple years ago. After much frustration, we found that there were some extra characters in the fmhosts.txt file. I forget exactly which ones. After cleaning it up, the "Specify" OK button started working again. That was at FMP 4.1 or 5.0 and Windows NT4 but the problem/solution might still work.

This topic is 7857 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.