Database archive and purge

This topic is 977 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

howdy all,

need ideas on best practice for archiving and purging a database

I have a database with 10 tables all with relationships, and approximately 40K recorded I would like to have a script (or plugin) that would allow me to move data older than 1 year to an identical database and then delete the found set from the master.

I tried using the export import but can't figure out how to move all relevant records including the once from the relation. 

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Rudy

Thank you for your reply,

Data older than 6 months will  never be accessed again, but don't want to delete just in case. My idea was to have a script move any data older then 6 month to another database for save keeping.

Thanks

Rudy

15 hours ago, rudym88 said:

Data older than 6 months will  never be accessed again

So don't access it.

What you ask for requires a considerable amount of very careful scripting. You would need to find records that are older than a year and export them. Then tell the other file to import them. (Or tell the other file to import them directly from the original file.) Then delete them. All this repeated 10 times, once for each table. That's a lot of moving parts - and if anything goes wrong during this process, you will lose data. That's on the con side. On the pro side: nothing, AFAICT.

Thanks, I was hoping to get a better simpler solution.  I started to put something together and you are correct there are a lot of moving parts.

Thanks for the the advice.  

This topic is 977 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.