Server Maintenance This Week. ×

CONDITIONAL PREVENTION OF RECORD DELETION

This topic is 908 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Firstly, sorry if this in the wrong place. Please feel free to move it if necessary.

I have a lookup table and associated layout which has largely static data in it. Sometimes I add records to this which I subsequently think that I don't need. However, if a particular field is populated, I absolutely DO NOT want to delete it. Occasionally I don't notice that this field is populated and I go ahead and delete the record anyway.

Is there any way that I can prevent myself (I am the only user) deleting these records if this particular field is populated? If it helps, this field will only ever be empty or contain the (calculated) word 'Yes' - if the latter I want to prevent deletion.

I hope that I've explained this adequately. Please feel free to berate me if it's too vague 😃

Thanks in advance

If you are the only user, and also the one who asks how to accomplish this, then I assume you are logged in with full access privileges. So the short answer is no, you cannot restrict your privilege to delete records.

What is your method of deleting a record? Perhaps you could work out something using custom menus. Or maybe you could log in automatically as a user, and relogin as admin only when you need to make structural changes.

Edited by comment

Thanks for this, and apologies for my delay in responding. I have created a new user (called User) and set it to 'Create & Edit in all tables' but when I log in as such I am unable to create new records - both the 'New Record' and 'Delete Record' buttons are greyed-out. Am I missing something? Also, is it possible to switch users without closing Filemaker and starting again? Thanks in advance for your help (and patience).

3 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

both the 'New Record' and 'Delete Record' buttons are greyed-out

The buttons will be greyed out if their corresponding menu commands are not available. If you want them to be functional, you need to select [ All ] from the 'Available menu commands' drop -down.

3 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

is it possible to switch users without closing Filemaker and starting again?

Sure. Make your self a button that does re-login:
https://help.claris.com/en/pro-help/content/re-login.html?Highlight=relogin

See also:
https://help.claris.com/en/pro-help/content/file-options.html?Highlight=login

This topic is 908 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.