Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Trying to append to existing pdf using a script, but start from where data ended on last page instead of on a new page... IS THIS POSSIBLE?

This topic is 898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

The title of my post says it all. Well, almost! You will need to know that each set of found results get appended to the initial pdf using a different layout. I already have a script that is successfully creating a pdf and populating it with data from a search result using one layout, then performing the same function three more times, appending to that existing pdf using a different layout each time. In the event that the data from one search doesn't fill up the last page, there is blank space. I am wondering if there is any way I can do either of the following:

1) Somehow trim the blank space at the end of the last page of each set of results/layout so that the next one displays immediately

OR

2) Somehow get the date and layout for the next set of results to begin displaying in the empty space of the last page (assuming there is room for header and at least one entry), before proceeding to the next page

I realize these might be pipe dreams, but would like to hear that as well, if that's the answer.

Thanks!

Eli

No, this is not possible (at least not in Filemaker; it might be possible to remove the blank spaces in a PDF editor application?).

However, there could be another way to get the result you want: use a single layout to print all the records to a single PDF at one go. If you need different formatting for different sections, you can use conditional formatting and/or hiding of fields and/or calculation fields. But we would need to know more details to provide more specific advice.

Another thing: if you don't care about the page size (as is indicated by your first option), then maybe just use a shorter page. You will have more page breaks, but the remaining space on the last page of each printout will be reduced.  

Edited by comment

• Newbies

Well, I do need different layouts for different sections. Next time I dive into it, I will refer back to this thread and try some of these techniques. I will have to look up the reporting temp table and virtual list techniques, as I am not hip, but shortening the overall page length might be a decent simple solution. I'd have to see how it plays with the layout. Definitely easiest! Thank you all :)

13 minutes ago, EliB said:

I do need different layouts for different sections.

I tend to disagree. You may need a different display for each section, and it may be that using different layouts is the most convenient way to accomplish this. But as noted above, there are other ways.

This topic is 898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.