Server Maintenance This Week. ×

New Window command gives successively longer window for each new window

This topic is 906 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When I open a New Window, the second window is a bit longer than the original window (but it is no wider). And when I open yet another New Window, the third window is a bit longer than the second window. And so on. I am not sure, but I think this might have started with the upgrade to Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1. I'm on FMP18.0.3.317. I've used this particular database for years, and have not made any changes to the underlying structure in many months, possibly a year or longer. The extra length added is about 1.25 cm or about 40 points. I've attached a screen shot showing the increasing window lengths for 4 windows, and another screen shot showing the window length in point measurement. Any thoughts? Thanks.

FMP Points View.png

FMP Window Behavior.png

Trying to reproduce in a brand new file sounds like a good idea. So I opened the Contacts template for a new database and put in a first name for each of 4 records. On doing the same New Window command, I get the same "Successively Long Windows" result. I attach both the Contacts database with 4 records & a screenshot. Thanks for looking at this.

NewWindowTestScreenshot.png

NewWindowTest.fmp12

Using a template is not exactly "brand new". Anyway, see if the same thing happens with the attached file (try both the button and the Window > New Window menu command). If so, there is something wonky in your system.  Possibly a bug, though I wouldn't expect Claris to pursue this. Another thing to check: disable any plugins and system utilities. As a last resort you may try reinstalling FM.

new.fmp12

On Big Sur (11.5.2):

For David's file, Comment's file and new file I created, tests are the same results:

* 'new window' via single script step produces same size window but offset down and to the right (and same with each subsequent new window).  Window height does not increase. 

* 'new window' manually creates duplicate window in same location and size as the original.

I think this might have started with the upgrade to Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1.

You might be right.

ADDED:  BTW, the difference in behavior between script step and manually specifying new window can be easily explained:  if User creates a new window, let them see one was created whereas if a Developer scripts a new window, they want to control placement and behavior of the window so it is placed directly on top.  Regardless, size shouldn't change.

Edited by LaRetta

The same 'longer window' behavior happens with your attached new.fmp12 file, using both the button and the Window>New Window menu command. Turning off the LCFM Native Plug-In and restarting FileMaker Pro did not help. Reinstalling FM 18 did not help. Installing the 45 day Trial Version of FM 19 did not help. Thank you for the suggestions. As per LaRetta's reply, I am leaning towards the conclusion that it is a Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1 issue.

If you can reproduce the problem using the latest FM version, then you have a legitimate bug and should report it. 

OTOH, macOS Monterey is barely 2 weeks old so some tweaks may be in the pipeline (though not likely for v.18).

Edited by comment
  • Plus1 1

This topic is 906 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.