Highlighting Selected Text

Rich S

This topic is 871 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greets, all:

I feel sheepish asking this, but I think it's style-related: When a user double-clicks on a word in a text field to edit or delete it, it doesn't highlight (as it does in a word processor)--is this something that I need to script using a script trigger, or did I inadvertently mess up the assigned style so words don't highlight as they should?

*heavy sigh* I can be soooooo dense sometimes. Thanks in advance for your replies.

When I double-click a word in a text field it does highlight - so the question is what exactly happens at your end: is the word selected, but not highlighted? Or is it not selected at all? Is any selection highlighted? If you suspect this has to do with your styles, can you reproduce the problem in a new file with default styles?

Edited by comment

The word is selected, but not highlighted. I created a new db using one of the canned ones included in FileMaker Pro--the same problem occurs.

On a lark, I opened the same database on another user's computer and when I double-click field text on her machine, the text highlights properly.

Okay, so now I know it's my machine...and I found the culprit (again*): Dark Mode. If I set my Mac to either General > Appearance > Light (or Auto), field text highlights correctly; in Dark Mode, it doesn't. As far as I can tell, there's no style setting to take this into account: If you were to go to the Inspector and change the setting for Edit Box > In Focus, that won't help since that colors the entire field, not just text.

*I completely forgot that I posted about this problem over a month ago; when you're an old geezer like I am, you tend to forget stuff.

Edited by WF7A
Capitalization

Dark mode works in most programs (upon testing) but does not hold for FM.  I am on Big Sur 11.6.1 and FM 19.3.2.206.  You don't indicate your FM version but FM has a bug in my version which can be observed in this video:

• First in light mode, double-clicking word highlights and so does drag-select.
  • Switch to dark mode, double-clicking does NOT highlight it nor does drag-select.
  • But it IS highlighted because, when I switch to a different window such as back to the 'general' window, it then highlights.

This may have been fixed in newest FM version but it has other issues so I won't upgrade until they've resolve them.

Wow trying to read a script in dark mode, particularly if long, is impossible (attached screenshot).  At least if I close FM and reopen, it correctly converts the text to white so I can read it (but the highlight issue never corrects itself).  Also, in Catalina with FM 19.4, dark mode correctly highlights but scripts act as they do for me.

Incompatibility with versioning between software can sure be frustrating.  But I guess it gives us work, so ... 😜1320558820_DarkModescript.thumb.png.8a95e39f5b735577c0033d7bf6385542.png

Edited by LaRetta

This topic is 871 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.