Moving from Filemaker 7 to Filemaker 19

This topic is 831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greeting welcome to the site.

For starters Backup first.

Then you need to convert fp7 format to fmp12 format

https://community.claris.com/en/s/question/0D50H00006ezcBkSAI/filemaker-12-standalone-converter

You will need to be on a modern computer that can run fm19 once converted to fmp12 format you should be able to test to see how the solution behaves in newer version. 

• Newbies
On 1/10/2022 at 4:06 PM, Ocean West said:

Greeting welcome to the site.

For starters Backup first.

Then you need to convert fp7 format to fmp12 format

https://community.claris.com/en/s/question/0D50H00006ezcBkSAI/filemaker-12-standalone-converter

You will need to be on a modern computer that can run fm19 once converted to fmp12 format you should be able to test to see how the solution behaves in newer version. 

Hey Ocean West, the link isnt working for me

• Newbies
2 hours ago, comment said:

Not sure what you mean by "minimal downtime". Is your solution hosted?

I think you will find the instructions you need here:
https://help.claris.com/en/pro-help/content/converting-files.html

Im currently running filemaker 7 locally on a windows 7 computer. The file is shared on the network and it is constantly updated. I would like to simultaneously upgrade the computer to windows 10 and the filemaker to pro 19 without losing any of the data. While having the new filemaker ready to use for work.

Ok you are doing peer-to-peer sharing. Just note that this feature is on the depreciation list but no ETA when it will be removed.

It is ideal that you host your file with FileMaker server on a dedicated computer or host in the cloud. If you have licenses you can host for about 60 per month.

https://www.zerobluetech.com/filemaker-hosting/

From your description it sounds like you need to upgrade the computer first and the software - known as a crash upgrade. 

I recommend a test migration to ensure if it functions as expected. And then plan for an afternoon to do it again with your current data when your ready to retire old computers and FM7. 

26 minutes ago, SteveFilemaker said:

The file is shared on the network and it is constantly updated.

I don't understand this. It is constantly being updated by whom? I am also not sure what exactly "shared on the network" means. It could mean peer-to-peer sharing - or it could mean something else.

In general, once you install version 19 you can convert your files and get all the data that was inside the files at the moment of conversion. If the files are hosted, you will have to stop the service and close the files before converting them. 

• Newbies
22 hours ago, comment said:

I don't understand this. It is constantly being updated by whom? I am also not sure what exactly "shared on the network" means. It could mean peer-to-peer sharing - or it could mean something else.

In general, once you install version 19 you can convert your files and get all the data that was inside the files at the moment of conversion. If the files are hosted, you will have to stop the service and close the files before converting them. 

Sorry I wasn't using the correct jargon. It is peer to peer sharing. By updated I meant users are adding new information to the file throughout the workday.

34 minutes ago, SteveFilemaker said:

users are adding new information to the file throughout the workday.

Well, they will have to upgrade their FMP clients too, won't they?

If you were using different computers, you could continue serving the old solution alongside a pilot of the new one. Then, when you're ready, you would import the current data and continue with the new set. That would reduce your downtime to the minimum possible, I think. But it looks like this option is not available to you.

This topic is 831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.