Can't change a fields font

Coyne

This topic is 786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm using FM Pro 17.0.7.700 on a 2015 iMac running OS 11.6.1.

It's been a while since I had to add/change fields and I do not belive I've had to do that since I started using v. 17.

I was in the "Enlightened" Layout and wanted to change a field from Arial to Times New Roman. I could not do it. I could change the field color, I could change the font size, but I could not change the font.

Is there a secret handshake for this process or am I missing something very obvious?

Thank you for any help.

Oh, is it possible to NOT have a Theme?

Can you explain what exactly "I could not change the font" means? If you are in Layout mode, and you select the field and change its font in the Appearance tab of the Inspector or in the formatting bar, and the change sticks, then you have successfully changed the field's font.

Now, if the field does not display the field's content in the selected font, then most likely the field contains styled text that already has its own font attribute. You need to remove it using either the TextFontRemove or the TextFormatRemove function. Or there could be conditional formatting overriding the default font set for the field.

Edited by comment

Hi Comment,

Yes, when in Layout mode and when I change the font either in the Appearance tab of the Inspector or in the Formatting bar, the change never shows or sticks. I might have changed the font of a document in Word for the level of change it shows in any of the fields.

For grins and giggles I tried changing the Theme to see if I could change the font in any of them and that did not work out either.

Can you please point me to some instruction on how to use TestFontRemove or TextFormatRemove function? This was a brand new database that I created, originally sourced from an Access database via an Excel spreadsheet. I just checked and the font in Excel is Arial and that is the font I'm trying to change (to Times New Roman) but cannot. I am also not able to change the font in any new fields I create as well.

Thank you for your assistance here. 

23 minutes ago, Coyne said:

when I change the font either in the Appearance tab of the Inspector or in the Formatting bar, the change never shows or sticks.

Could you make a copy of your file, remove everything except one table, a record or two, a couple of fields and a single layout, and post it here?

Comment (and anyone else reading this),

I solved the problem: on my system in my copy of FM Pro, on my system,  I can't use Times New Roman. 

Becuase the letter was written in TNR, I wanted to match the font in the fields. (There are subtle differences between Times and TNR.)

While prepping the file to display here, on a whim, I tried changing the font to a different font and it worked just fine. [Whaazzat??] I then tried to go back to TNR and it would not take it. I can use TNR in every other program (Word, Adobe programs, TextEdit, etc.) but it will not take in FMP. I am mentally drained of ideas. FWIW, becuase I couldn't change the font to TNR, I didn't even think to try another font till this morning. 

So, I will change things to Times and continue on my merry way. I am including the errant file, I've removed all personal data and left it with just my wife's record. If anyone wishes to see if they can place TNR, please do and if you're successful, let me know. 

It's been a pleasure dealing with Comment and anyone else who was reading my issue, thanks for reading.

LV Mailing List copy.fmp12

The attachment cannot be downloaded. This could be due to the recent forum upgrade.

Is there something special about your Times New Roman font? Is it possible it was installed by some 3rd party application, replacing the original macOS font? See what happens when you open the attached file (assuming you can); it has two instances of the same field, one formatted using the (default) Arial font and the other using Times New Roman. 

test.fmp12.zip

Interesting, one cannot download an fm document from an fm website?

Oh well, I've compressed it and providing the zipped version of the same document. BTW, when I click on your test document, I get sent to a page that states "The page you requested does not exist." (Error code: 15160/2) And I am logged in. Other than clicking on the attachment, is there a recommended secret handshake that might not be obviously apparent?

To answer your questions, I can't remember where I got that Times New Roman (from Monotype Corp.) but it was a legit source. It's Opentype font (not one of the doomed Type 1 postscript, that was one of the things I checked early on).

cant change fonts in fields.fmp12.zip

Hi Comment,

Nope, I could not change to TNR on your test document. Times yes, but TNR, no.

Thanks for checking for me. My guess is that there is something wrong with my TNR. I'll have to put this aside for future study. Meanwhile, I do have standard Times, so it's not as if I'm completely stuck.

Meanwhile big thanks for your time and assistance. I do appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Coyne said:

My guess is that there is something wrong with my TNR.

That would be my guess too. I was just curious what do you see when you open my file, without changing anything: is the second instance of the field displaying the text in Times New Roman in Browse mode, and what does it show as its font setting in Layout mode.

This topic is 786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.