Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need a "how to" guide

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Greetings Exalted FM Gurus,

Once again I find myself seeking your esteemed counsel. As it were time is not on my side with my deadline to get a simple database published for a gaming guild for whom I am a member. I have been perusing the help files and this forum, but what I need is a guide to actually get to the point where I can type in my address and see my database in a browser.

All me to preempt: First of all I have a cable connection and FM 5.5. I know how to enable Web Companion, but the "how to" of getting to a published database is eluding me. I do have a dynamic DNS setup so the dynamic IP issue is a non-problem. I have downloaded Sambar web server (freeware) in preparation for some advice, I am assuming I do need a web server running right? Hope this is enough information, thanks for taking the time to help a newbie.

All respect,

Richard D. Anderson II

Richard,

You may not need the other WebServer, however it may come in handy a bit later.

The list of things-to-do for getting started can be:

1. enable 'WebCompanion'

2. enable 'Sharing' for 'WebCompanion' for each database file.

3. Have TCP/IP enabled as your Networking Protocol.

On the same computer, with your web-browser, goto 'localhost'. You should see a list of open databases. If not you may have another web-server running on port 80. If this is the case either close that web-server or in the WebCompanion configuration change the port to another number, e.g. 591. Then goto http://localhost:591.

Hope this helps.

Garry

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.