Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Updating 2007 Solution

This topic is 759 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

The original UI had 7 individual tabs functioning and located similar to a website navigation menu
The main Contacts screen included individual portals to Phone, Address, Email, URL and Notes tables
Those portals had links to their lists not to the above listed tabs.

Updating to conform to FM upgrades through the years and better accommodate multiple devices

My goal is to eliminate the tab navigation structure while keeping all the same info on the Contacts page.

I tried using a tab structure with portals, but that doesn’t seem viable. What would be? Some combination of Button Bars, Sliders, Portals and/or Tabs?

Any input would be much appreciated.

45 minutes ago, Just Me said:

I tried using a tab structure with portals, but that doesn’t seem viable.

Why not? If you want to have 2 or more portals on the same layout, then you can either show all of them or only some of them. Placing each portal inside a tab control (or slide control) panel is the best way to show only one portal at a time and allow the user to switch between them. If that's not what you want, then please elaborate.

• Newbies
33 minutes ago, comment said:

Why not? If you want to have 2 or more portals on the same layout, then you can either show all of them or only some of them. Placing each portal inside a tab control (or slide control) panel is the best way to show only one portal at a time and allow the user to switch between them. If that's not what you want, then please elaborate.

The left half of the "home" screen is just for Contacts fields. The right half has a 5 tab setup. The first tab just contains more Contacts fields. The problem comes with the next two tabs that I want to split horizontally into 2 separate portals each accessing a different table. That doesn't seem to work. Additionally, I'm not sure about the viability of this kind of portal setup with IOS devices.

9 minutes ago, bcooney said:

Screenshot would be helpful. 

I'm struggling to even get it to a point where a screenshot would be more helpful than my reply to the previous comment.

5 minutes ago, Just Me said:

The problem comes with the next two tabs that I want to split horizontally into 2 separate portals each accessing a different table. That doesn't seem to work.

I am afraid I don't follow this at all. I don't understand what you want to show - and I understand even less why it "doesn't seem to work". Please be more specific.

• Newbies
1 hour ago, comment said:

I still don't see any reason why you cannot place two portals, one below the other, within the same tab control panel. What exactly is it that "doesn't work"?

Placing two portals within the same tab is not the issue - as long as there's only 1 tab. When I place the Address and URL portals in the 2nd tab, am careful to remain properly within the borders of the tab - then return to browse mode - the URL portal replaces the data on the lower half of the first tab. In other words, it's glitchy. I've fiddled to find a work-around with no success so assumed I'm either missing something or should perhaps use a button bar or bars with sliders. Having limited experience with both I thought I'd ask for guidance as to which set up would be more stable or how to get the portals within tabs to behave as I want.

2 hours ago, Just Me said:

the URL portal replaces the data on the lower half of the first tab

That sounds like the portal is actually on top of the tab control object, instead of being inside a tab panel. You can use the Objects tab in Layout mode to see the layout objects' hierarchy. Sometimes an object needs to be nudged a pixel or two before it "falls" inside a tab panel or a portal.

Edited by comment

This topic is 759 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.