Connecting to Server via VPN; MacOS

This topic is 729 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We installed a database for a new client with its own in-house server and VPN for remote connections. The staff has regularly and reliably connected remotely for years.

I have established the VPN connection, and it's rock solid. Great Internet service at each end point. But once I'm in the network, I can't connect to Server. I enter the IP address for the host, and I get "connection failed." Meanwhile, I'm in communication with client and she's working remotely this morning without problems. 

I'm not sure how my FM client will resolve the IP address because it seems to me it would be confused about whether it's on my in-house network or theirs. But maybe that's not the problem.

The VPN connection is through Apple's built-in services, not a third-party application. I got it to work with the L2TP option.

Anyway, is there a step I'm missing that the client might have forgotten to mention? That certainly happened with the instructions for connecting to VPN, but I worked it out.

I'm most grateful for any suggestions.

Edited by EasyWriter
Typo

4 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

I have forgone a few built in VPN's because they have become problematic. I use ZeroTier https://www.zerotier.com and it just works.

I appreciate your comment, but this is a fairly new client with an established VPN. I don't feel comfortable suggesting they change the VPN service that works for them because I can't get mine to work. I feel it's my job to conform to them. But thanks for trying to help.

I had at one time a problem with a VPN where my internal IP was on the same as theirs 192.168.0.x. I decided that is more common with clients I visit so on my network I changed it to 10.0.0.x that solved conflicts for me at that time. 

1 hour ago, Ocean West said:

I had at one time a problem with a VPN where my internal IP was on the same as theirs 192.168.0.x. I decided that is more common with clients I visit so on my network I changed it to 10.0.0.x that solved conflicts for me at that time. 

Thank you. I'm intrigued. Did you change the IP on your computer, on your router or ... ?

14 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

My router. 

OK, conversation with the client revealed that yes, they omitted some information. The problem seems to be the same one you encountered. They sent me the in-house instructions for fixing it. But I have a lot of devices connected on my network. Will each of them have to be manually reconfigured for the new DHCP router address? Oh, I hope not.

Yea think when that happened to me that was way before the "internet of things" and when I only had a few devices. Now there are over a hundred. If they are DHCP they should respond accordingly some devices may need to be reset up.

This topic is 729 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.