Server Maintenance This Week. ×

updating database

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have two files: one large master file with names and addresses (112,000 records) and a smaller file (450 records of a special interest subgroup created some time ago) with some of the names from the master file but out of date addresses. How do I get the new addresses into the smaller database? Basically I want to update my smaller data base with new addresses. The FMP manual is driving me crazy. Anybody willing to help a newbie?

If, as you say, the records in the second file are a sub-group of the main file, then here are some alternatives you should consider:

1. Simply create a 'flag' field in the main file which indicates membership of the sub-group, and do a 'find' in the main file whenever you want to view or print records for the sub group, or

2. Create a uniqie identifying key field (eg serial number) in both files and a relationship from the sub-group file to the main file (matching the unique key fields in the two files). Then use related fields from the main file in place of the name and address fields within the sub-file.

In either case, your sub-file will then always mirror the current data in the main file.

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.