Chart will not summarize/group by month...

Darren Emery

This topic is 725 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm stumped and any help would be greatly appreciated.  Image of chart and pertinent settings below.  My goal is to group and count the number of inspections by month, bu they all are reporting as individual columns on the graph, rather than being grouped as desired. I feel like I'm close, as the correct data is displaying, just not summarizing correctly.  

I am working on a small found set of inspections, and have sorted the 54 resulting records by the field _get_month_name, and I have a field set as summary to count the number of records (count of primary ID on inspection). 

Body part is a Sub-summary when sorted by _get_month_name

image.thumb.png.563ca09e29cc2ad014eb3717b848060b.png

image.png.26e18c5b7a2c9a113bfb9975a16808cc.pngimage.png.f66809bae6ea880d5e534cab2b503d6e.png

comment - yes your file represents just what I'm trying to do.  I will dig in and see if I can find the issue with my file.  I sincerely thank you  - I have not been active on the forum for a couple of years, but will be back a lot going forward, and have always appreciated your input!

On 4/24/2022 at 9:14 AM, comment said:

P.S. Note that months with no inspections will be skipped.

That makes sense - thanks.

Your file has been VERY helpful.  Not quite sure what's going on with the cMonth field though: 

Date - Day ( Date ) + 1

How does that calculation return the Month? 🤔

2 hours ago, Darren Emery said:

Not quite sure what's going on with the cMonth field though: 

Date - Day ( Date ) + 1

How does that calculation return the Month? 🤔

It doesn't. It returns the date of the first day in the month of Date. This is convenient because sorting by this field preserves the chronological order while still grouping by the month. Thus issues like sorting by month name in non-alphabetical order or sorting across year boundaries are eliminated. OTOH, the resulting date is easily formatted to display as month/year only - as you can observe both on the layout and within the chart.

• Like 1

This topic is 725 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.