Go to record

This topic is 691 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to file maker pro coming from using Alpha 5.   Alpha 5 is way way more user friendly but also way more expensive.  

In alpha 5 once you create a form you can click on any field in that form and then press a button and the table is sorted on that field.  No need to open a dialog box each time you want to sort.  No need to scroll down to find field. 

But the next feature is the one I am missing.

Once you have sorted the table you open a find by key dialog box.  You start typing the field contents of the record you are searching for and depending how much you type you will go to the first matching record.  Suppose it's sorted by last name field if you type O and then enter you go to the first record starting with 0.  If you type Os you go to the first record starting with Os and so on.

This is not a find or a search.  Once you go to the record you can use arrow keys to more forward or back.

As far as I can tell Filemaker pro does have a go to function but only a record number.

I use this go to field constantly in Alpha 5 almost every single time I use A4 which is every day.   

Is there any built in feature in file maker pro that does this or something similar. 

I've seen a number of videos.   It looks to me like you have write a script to do something similar.   And so far nothing as good.

I could use some help with this.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Sam Jahnson said:

Filemaker pro does have a go to function but only a record number.

True, but the record number can be calculated from a list of all the field's values. Alternatively, you could loop over the records until you get to the first record where the field starts with the typed phrase.

However, I don't understand the basic situation you describe. What exactly is a "key dialog box"? IOW, where exactly would you type in your search phrase? You cannot type into the field itself, unless you are in Find mode - but then you would stand to lose your already established found set. If you type into a global field, how would Filemaker know in which field to look?

This topic is 691 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.