Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value list based on calculated field not working

RSGC

This topic is 648 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi - I am trying to setup a valure. It seems pretty simple, but having trouble making it work. I am trying to base the value list items on the values in a field in a related table. The related table had a bunch of fields, but 4 that matter for this description I think:

LastName (Text)

FirstName (Text)

LastFirstManual (Text)

Last.First (Calculated = LastName&", "&FirstName)

The calculation works, works, meaning that looking at the field in the records of that table shows a last name, first name for each record.

The LastFirstManual is there temporarily I hope for testing. I did a "replace field values" with the same calculation as the calculated field. So those fields "show" the cames thing. Obviously the calculation field is dynamic and what I am looking for and the text field is static. 

image.thumb.png.8f2744e58e862e27f1481fd88154e949.png

In the image, the value list is set to LastFirstManual and it works exactly the way I want. When a user enters the field set to drop down using this value list all the records in the related table show up. 

If I set the Value list to display Last.First (the only change I make in the dialog, all that shows up when the user click on the field is a single "?" in the value list. 

I feel stupid as I am sure I have done this type of thing in the past, and don't recall having an issue. The calculation field is showing as indexed in Fields tab of the Manage Database dialog. 

Thanks for any suggestions to make this working using the calculated field as the value list source. 

Bob

59 minutes ago, RSGC said:

Last.First (Calculated = LastName&", "&FirstName)

If Last.First is a Calculation field, make sure it is stored and that the result type is Text. 

If that does not solve the problem, please post a file showing the problem (and preferably, only the problem), so that we don't have to guess.

DOH . . . I knew it was something stupidly simple. It was stored and indexed, but calculation result was Number. Changing to Text seems to have fixed things. Thanks so much for your quick and accurate solution. 

bob

This topic is 648 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.