Server Maintenance This Week. ×

tax calculation error in "billing" starter solution that came with Filemaker 13 advanced

This topic is 394 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

there is a bug I cannot figure out (which I did not modify at all other than creating a new record for example purpose). The solution is in french but nothing complicated about it. The problem fields appear to be (but it could be something else) :

Taux TVA

Montant TVA

Sous-total

The problem is that the tax rate (Taux TVA) multiplies Sous-total as a whole number and not a percent. In the attached example, if I enter the number 5 or 0.05 or whatever else with a 5, the result is always 475$ for Montant TVA. The calculation uses a $ to make it a local value but even if I close the solution and reopen it an enter 0.05 for example, it still calculates it as 5

I tried all kind of changes but nothing helps. Most likely a small detail but I need this to work soon.

Could any of you have a look and chime in suggestions ?

thanks in advance

second.png

first.png

taux_tva_005.JPG

taux_tva_5.JPG

Facturation.fmp12

AFAICT, the problem is that your entry of 0.05 is interpreted as 5 (which equals 500%) because the file expects a comma as the decimal separator, not a period. When I enter 0,05 I get the expected result (i.e. 5%).

Here are some important points to pay attention to:

• Your file was created under a system that uses a comma as the decimal separator;
  • Your file is set to ask what settings to use when opened on a different system (in File > File Options… > Text);
  • If your system uses a period as the decimal separator, and you choose the system settings (either when opening the file or at any time in Format > Use System Formats), then you will be able to enter 0.05 and have it interpreted as 5%;

To remove all possible discrepancies, I would recommend you save a copy of the file as clone (no records). Once you open this clone, it will inherit your system's settings.

I would also suggest you go over the numeric fields present on your layouts and check their display formatting. This is for consistency only, it does not affect data entry.

Hi,

Thank you very much Comment. Greatly appreciated. Indeed it works great. Small details can have a huge impact, don't they !!

Very nice and professional of you to go into so much depth.

Have a great day !

Cheers

This topic is 394 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.