Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Re-importing images into a container field

This topic is 394 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've created a photo catalog in FileMaker and import the images directly (not referenced) into an 'image' container field. In the process I capture the filename and filepath. I've realised the photo scanner I use is making B+W images too dark so I might have to process them through an app and lighten them. For already imported images is there any way to overwrite the current images using the Import function where the image path or filename is matched and only the image container field is updated? I've done this previously with other data but can't recall if I've done it with embedded images.

OK thanks - it was easier than I thought:

Import > Update matching records in found set > update field " <-> File Name" and it replaces just the images.

Just a note on importing images, yes it can work with folders but if you need to update just a few images in the folder you'll need to put all the non-updated images in a temp folder at the root level of that folder, then when you import, uncheck "include all enclosed folders" so it just imports the updated images you put in the folder root. When that's done reunite the old images with the new ones at the folder root level. Its the only workaround I've found.

Oh yes for updating - that's a good idea, but generally if I incrementally add images on import I have that issue of it wanting to import the whole folder, and if I try to add just one image rather than a folder full, from memory not all of the attributes are imported.

Sorry, you lost me at this point. I thought we were talking about updating. 

Note that you can check the "Add remaining data as new records" option If you want to add new images at the same time. And you can validate a field - e.g. File Name or File Path - as unique to prevent duplicates.

Its a bit of both, import images into the database, then update some of them with enhanced versions, but I'm trying to streamline the process end to end as the import folder feature is clunky, so your feedback is helpful and I might rethink the import process. Even if I add new images by overwriting the current images with old ones and check "add remaining records" that might still be a less fussy option. I'm an occasional user and so its useful to ask on this forum for better ways of doing things, so thanks again.

This topic is 394 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.