Why won't FM allow me to alter the padding settings in Tab Control?

Go to solution Solved by mdfOffman,

I duplicated a d/b and changed the Style from Sophisticated to Apex Blue.  Then I adjusted the font settings from Arial 16 back to Verdana 11 as in Sophisticated.  That worked perfectly except that the tab sizes on tab control remain big enough to accommodate Arial 16 which messes up my whole layout design.

When I double click on the tab control, it shows the padding settings but won't let me change the top or bottom numbers.  Why not?

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 7.56.13 PM.png

2 hours ago, mdfOffman said:

When I double click on the tab control, it shows the padding settings but won't let me change the top or bottom numbers. 

I am having a hard time figuring out what you refer to. When you double-click a tab control, the Tab Control Setup window opens, allowing you to specify tab names, tab justification and the front tab. There are no padding settings in this window.

When a tab control is selected (not double-clicked), you can adjust padding in the Appearance/Advanced Graphics area of the Inspector. AFAICT, these settings are individual to each tab, and you need to select a tab before you can adjust them. However, I doubt that will help with the problem you describe, because:

I am equally puzzled by this statement:

3 hours ago, mdfOffman said:

I adjusted the font settings from Arial 16 back to Verdana 11 as in Sophisticated.  That worked perfectly except that the tab sizes on tab control remain big enough to accommodate Arial 16

That is not what I experience. When I change the font size, all tabs are automatically adjusted, both for width and for height.

• Solution

Thanks so much once again for your help and guidance.  What you describe is what I expected but, for some strange reason, not what I got.  I must done have something wrong somewhere.  But I haven't investigated that as there was a much simpler solution.

I really only like the Sophisticated Theme. But I need a visual indicator of whose d/b I am working on.  So I copied the file and kept the Theme.  Then I simply changed the background of the layout body and saved is as a new theme with a few more small tweaks.  Everything works perfectly :-)

Thanks again.

36 minutes ago, mdfOffman said:

I need a visual indicator of whose d/b I am working on.

Hm. That sounds like you are keeping multiple files that are identical except for their data sets. That's not a good arrangement to have: every change you make to the schema will have to be replicated to each one of these files.

A much simpler solution would use a single file, with a field to tell the data sets apart. And if you want, you can use conditional formatting to provide the visual indicator you need.

Edited by comment

Thanks again.  I've already got pretty close to the end of my combination of time and skills.  I only created the second file when almost complete with the first one.

I'm about to close some major deals.  As soon as the first one closes, I shall be delighted to engage one of you professionals to handle all the bells and whistles.

But being both developer and user was an eye-opening experience. I've been working on the concept of my database for 20 years (!!) and being able to instantly feel and correct everything that irritated me as a user delivered an enormous improvement in both structure and UI.