Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Perform Script question

Howdy howdy...

Quick question: Is it possible to assign a global variable as a name in the Perform Script command, e.g., Perform Script [Specified: By name: $$_Blivet ; Parameter: ] ? I don't see anything in the documentation ( https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help/perform-script.html ) about it and I couldn't get it to work as is or with using Evaluate ($$_Blivet) either, so is it "do-able" or no?

Cheers,

Rich

Hmmm...

Your profile says version 19, yet you point to a help page for version 16.

Perform Script by Name is an option available in version 17 and higher, so it's not clear where we stand. Also:

2 hours ago, WF7A said:

I couldn't get it to work as is

is not a good description of a problem. What exactly did happen? If there was an error message, please reproduce it verbatim.

In general, if you are in version 17 or higher, and the $$_Blivet variable contains the name of the script (as string), you should be able to enter $$_Blivet into the calculation window and be done. The Evaluate() function has no role to play here.

Do  note that when using this option you are responsible for updating the process that sets the variable if you modify the script's name.

Edited by comment

Actually, I'm running v20.1.2.204, but the newest version isn't available in this site's Account / Profile's pop-up menu. I grabbed the help menu link from v16 'cause I assumed Perform Script wouldn't have changed in the last handful of versions. (My mistake for assuming _anything_.)

I'm beginning to think, though, that I may have to reinstall this version to see if there's a bug since when I pull up the available scripts, there isn't a Perform Script By Name choice. (See below.) I also sometimes can't access the "blue dot" on the right side of a command to enter parameters--I open and close the Show or Hide Steps Pane but to no avail; I have to quit FMP and reboot it for it to come back.

I've also included the error message I get when I try running Perform Script with a global variable.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 1.12.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 1.14.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 1.22.04 PM.png

Edited by WF7A