Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dwindling Value List: Is there a way to change <no values defined> messsage when all values have been used up from source list?

dmontano

Hi all,

I have created a "Dwindling Value List" that appears to be working. 

However, after I have "assigned" all of the available values from the "dwindling list" as I build out records, I am presented with a default message that says "<no values defiend>". I understand the massage, but prefer the message to say something more specific and understandable to a User (and myself).

If I could customize the message to read: "All widgets have been assigned." or something that makes sense in the context of its use.

For example:

1. All available "People" have been assigned a "Task".
  2. All available "Cars" have been "Rented" .

Is there a way to change the default message "<no values defiend>" when the available values are used-up when using "Dwindling Value Lists".

Screenshot attached.

Thanks in advance.

dwindling_value_list_default_message.png

I don't know of a way to change FM's built-in error messages.

Off the top of my head, you could:

• Change the field's format to drop-down list (I believe the message only appears in a pop-up menu);
  • Make the field a button that runs a script and let the script check whether any values remain;
  • Move to a more controlled method of selection using a card window.

Another option is to hide the pop-up field (using Hide calculation) once all selected.  Since it is an edit layout (and not printed), you could have PLACEHOLDER field (or use button bar) calc to display your message under the pop-up menu.  You would have to also include a button alongside to allow a User to handle 'unselecting' last value to show the field again.  

In all, changing to a drop-down list probably works best but you'll need to clear any invalid entries (auto-enter replace would work well for that.

Edited by LaRetta
  • Plus1 1

Thank you Comment for the reply.

Your suggestions are very helpful. Sounds like Card Windows is something I should learn as they seem to be a better tool for some things. I will live with the default message as-is: I certainly have bigger fish to fry.

I have spent my whole day trying to incorporate Dwindling Value List functionality into a few layouts. I thought I figured it out, but shortly thereafter discovered I don't have it figured out. I have (perhaps foolishly) been stopping myself when I encounter problems and stick with it until I figure it out or learn it. I admit that FileMaker has been my hardest challenge to date and I'm getting old! lol 

I will try and post, later, a focused question on the matter in a new thread so as not to convolute this one.

3 minutes ago, LaRetta said:

Another option is to hide the pop-up field (using Hide calculation) once all selected.  Since it is an edit layout (and not printed), you could have PLACEHOLDER field (or use button bar) calc to display your message under the pop-up menu.  You would have to also include a button alongside to allow a User to handle 'unselecting' last value to show the field again.  

In all, changing to a drop-down list is best but you'll need to clear any invalid entries (auto-enter replace would work well for that.

Thank you LaRetta! I've decided to live with it as-is. My post above describes the bigger fish(es) I need to fry first! 

Edited by dmontano
clarity

I have created a new thread (in my attempt to keep threads from getting convoluted) of my other troubles with Dwindling Value Lists in case you may be following along. That thread is here: