Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Date formats, date entry

droid
Go to solution Solved by comment,

Hello,

I've been a Filemaker programmer for a long time, but on occasion I lose track of something that I should understand.

A file has somehow gotten its date input formats switched around. My preference is to be able to enter DD/MM/YYYY, but I've done something to cause it to insist on YYYY/MM/DD.

Related question, possibly? What is causing this dialog to appear, when opening just one particular database file? Not the same file as in the first query?

image.thumb.png.63a749537c3ec9df4c054dbf8db36404.png

Thank you!

• Solution
1 minute ago, droid said:

A file has somehow gotten its date input formats switched around.

That's not possible. The date format associated with a file is determined when the file is created (in case of a cloned file, when the file is first opened). Once set, it cannot be changed.

Possibly the file's date format was always YYYY/MM/DD and you have only lost the selected preference in File Options to always open the file using current system settings?

Note that using OS settings to override the file's date format does not work perfectly. The best solution is to clone the file, open it under your preferred OS setting, and import the data.

Thanks, "comment".

This database, with numerous tables, has never been cloned. The process of re-importing the data into each table, would be daunting. So I agree with you that there's no reason to explain the YYYY/MM/DD input coercion. Or is there...?

"Current System Settings" is the File Options setting. You forced me (thank you) to think about my System Settings. Which were YYYY-MM-DD. Both problems are solved.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Edited by droid
Misdirected my thanks