Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal filter using a checkbox value list

I _know_ this must've been covered here, but I must be muffing it using search operators since I can't find what I'm looking for. I found a few .fp7 example files dating back 14+ years ago, but I'd rather use more modern commands/schema that are available in later versions. (We're using v.20x FileMaker Pro, Mac.)

I want a value list (checkbox form, global field) to filter the results in a portal but I'm just not getting the syntax right using FilterValues and/or ValueListItems. What's the correct calculation? Example: If the user clicks Alpha and Beta, I want both values to appear in their respective records/field in a portal.

TIA for your help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, I figured it out after just posting about it:

not IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( Status ; gStatus ) )

That worked

Edited by Rich S
Figured it out

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 4:24 PM, Rich S said:

Of course, I figured it out after just posting about it:

Even so, is it in reality reporting through portals you're doing, which they weren't made for at all ... and then by it carries a load of updating issues. Often are they used over genuine reporting, for their way of slicing and dicing the information via a scrollbar as well as custom sorting ... to preventing the "Needle in the Haystack" scenario, when not being completely sure, what to look for. 

There exists alternative rendition methods still utilizing portal:

https://filemakerhacks.com/2016/04/27/virtual-list-reporting-part-1/

...and let me quote from the writing here:

Why Bother?

It’s a fair question, because on the surface VLR may appear to simply be a more convoluted way to accomplish things that you already know how to do via standard FileMaker reporting techniques. And for basic reporting tasks, I would agree.

But as requirements become more challenging, VLR enables you to generate reports (reports that would normally require the creation of multiple helper fields and/or utility relationships) without touching table schema in your main solution or making any modifications to the Relationships Graph.

--sd

Edited by Søren Dyhr
  • Thanks 1