Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

More than one record in one screen

Go to solution Solved by Søren Dyhr,

• Newbies

Hi,

I have a database in FM20 with >3.000 records. Each record has text-fields and a picture-field. Sometimes these pictures have a small difference.

Off course I can browse trough the database from one record to another record to try to find differences, but it would be helpfull (if it is possible) to have opened 2 records next to each other in 1 screen so I can compare these pictures and their description. When they are the same, I can delete 1 record.

Sorry for my sometimes incorrect English, but it is not my native language. I hope I explained it good enough.

Aart (from the Netherlands)

The exact answer depends on how you want to select the 2 records to compare. But you will probably want a layout that shows the current record along with fields from a related record, using a self-join relationship defined as:

YourTable::gSelectedID = YourTable 2::ID

where gSelectedID is a global field, ID is the primary key field, and YourTable 2 is another occurrence of YourTable.

Now you just need a process to populate the gSelectedID field. With > 3k records, you probably will not want to use a drop-down list. Maybe a card window?

• Newbies

I found another (easier) way.

Open database / Windows / New Window / next to each other. Now I have two windows with the same database. That will do for me.

Thanks

Aart (from the Netherlands)

8 minutes ago, Aart K said:

Now I have two windows

I hesitated whether to mention this option. In the end I decided not to, because working with 2 side-by-side windows is not convenient (at least not for me). But if you don't mind, then yes, it is easier to implement.

• Solution
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Aart K said:

Off course I can browse trough the database from one record to another record to try to find differences, but it would be helpfull (if it is possible) to have opened 2 records next to each other in 1 screen so I can compare these pictures and their description. When they are the same, I can delete 1 record.

Play a little with layout setup:image.png.3d425014ddcf0989f4d6b72d2df050f7.png

Then save the found set as a .pdf, and then save it in yet another now global container, and finally render it through the webviewer:

https://community.claris.com/en/s/question/0D53w00005INDyCCAX/fill-screen-with-pdf-in-webviewer

Final part is to think up a way, to scripted single (twice) out double occurrences. 

However does a way to find duplicates of a containerized by comparing Base64Encoded values .... so you can prevent eyeballing each and every one, likely to!

--sd

Edited by Søren Dyhr