Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Sorting for 2-up printing

rcacciato

I print tear-off receipts on 8-1/2" x 11" Click-N-Ship labels. We cut the labels in half horizontally so we get a label that is 4-1/4" x 11" and is stuck on an envelope with a tear-off receipt that the customer tears off (see image). The customer then scans the QR code on the receipt and pays. I have the layout set up in Filemaker so the labels print two up. The problem is that when I cut them they are no longer in numeric sequence. I'd like to set up a sort order so that if I cut the labels in half I can simply stack them and they will be in the correct numeric sequence. So for example, ideally, if I print 100 labels, the sort order would be such that if I cut the 50 sheets in half and stack them the first stack would be records 1-50 and the second would be records 51-100. Similarly, if I print 50 labels the sort order would work the same way, or if I print 200 the same would happen. I'm not sure if I'm being clear here but would love some input. I imagine I'd have to have a sort order field that finds the number of records in the found set, divides it by 2, then creates a sequence in some way. I'm attaching images of the envelope with the label and the 2-up layout in Filemaker. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot2024-09-26at5_09_14PM.thumb.png.7ea021ed10990119a781aceda9911bfd.png

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 5.13.56 PM.png

I think so but not sure.

To clarify, the first picture shows the finished product, click-n-ship label cut in half horizontally and applied to a bubble envelope. The second picture shows the FM print layout with two records. Promo2300999 on the bottom and Promo2301000 on the top. A page printed landscape then cut in half horizontally. I'm attaching a screenshot of the FM Layout itself (the blue "back to order list" is a button that doesn't print in case the script stops).

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 6.29.35 PM.png

So 2 records per page, one on top and one on bottom? And they should print in this order (if 8 records in total)?

Page 1 
- Record #1
- Record #5
Page 2
- Record #2
- Record #6
Page 3 
- Record #3
- Record #7
Page 4
- Record #4
- Record #8

I believe that's what we did in the thread I linked to, or something very similar. 

Yes, if I remember correctly.

In a nutshell, if your records have serial numbers starting at 1, you can calculate on which page a record should be as = 

Let ( 
pageCount = Ceiling ( Get ( FoundCount ) / 2 ) 
;
Mod ( SerialNumber - 1 ; pageCount ) + 1 
)

Then just sort by the page number and by SerialNumber.