Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

"Duplicate Estimate" button in 'popover_menu_1' duplicates line items WITHIN an estimate instead of creating a duplicate estimate as described.

• Newbies

Hello, The title pretty much says it all.  When using the "Duplicate Invoice/Estimate" button in the three-dot-menu in the top box of the middle column any line items present are duplicated in the same invoice/estimate, whereas in all the other sections: Account, Contacts, Project, etc. when using the same DUPLICATE button, a new record is created with duplicate information.  This seems to be the intended functionality and I am not sure why these 2 sections were coded differently.   When examining the script for the "popover_menu_1: DUPLICATE button" it is clearly pulling LINE_ITEMS to duplicate. This seems off.

I know enough to diagnose this issue this far, but since I cannot copy and paste the existing code elsewhere (quarantined) so I can try to correct this without permanently breaking it, I have hit a brick wall in attempting to fix this on my own.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Kindly, 
Novice

I know nothing about  FM Starting Point. I was hoping you would get a reply from the authors, but as this has not happened yet maybe a few notes could help:

It makes sense, from a business point of view, that when duplicating an invoice, an order or an estimate you would want to duplicate it along with its line items. The situation is typically something like "the same order as last month" - and duplicating just the order with its local fields, without the actual items ordered, would not accomplish anything useful. But if you wanted, you could simply use the Duplicate Record command/script step to do so (with some care taken to prevent duplicating the primary key).

I am not sure what you mean by "quarantined". There are a number of ways you can try to modify a script without "permanently breaking it":

• you can work on a copy of the original file;
  • you can work on a copy of the original script in the same file;
  • you can comment out the original steps while you try your own in the same script.

And of course you always want to have a backup of a version known to be working.

• Newbies
37 minutes ago, comment said:

I know nothing about  FM Starting Point. I was hoping you would get a reply from the authors, but as this has not happened yet maybe a few notes could help:

It makes sense, from a business point of view, that when duplicating an invoice, an order or an estimate you would want to duplicate it along with its line items. The situation is typically something like "the same order as last month" - and duplicating just the order with its local fields, without the actual items ordered, would not accomplish anything useful. But if you wanted, you could simply use the Duplicate Record command/script step to do so (with some care taken to prevent duplicating the primary key).

I am not sure what you mean by "quarantined". There are a number of ways you can try to modify a script without "permanently breaking it":

• you can work on a copy of the original file;
  • you can work on a copy of the original script in the same file;
  • you can comment out the original steps while you try your own in the same script.

And of course you always want to have a backup of a version known to be working.

Thank you for the reply. I understand your take on the invoice/estimate functionality, but it does not create a new record, it only duplicates the line items in the current estimate/invoice, which doesn't seem like a "feature", as the same "Duplicate" button across 6 pages is handled one way in 4 sections, and another way in only 2 sections. I did end up using duplicate record instead of the original script and have gained the functionality needed. 

Regarding the quarantine, I didn't think about working on a copy of the script internally (duh). I come from a "hand-coding" background using text files as sandboxes to test in, outside of my current working files. I do keep incremental backups. 

Thanks again for your input!

10 minutes ago, BigOleNovice said:

it only duplicates the line items in the current estimate/invoice

That seems strange - but as I said, I know nothing about FM Starting Point. I would expect a new invoice to be created and the old line items either duplicated and reassigned to the new invoice, or recreated from their values.

• Newbies
On 10/9/2024 at 2:50 PM, comment said:

That seems strange - but as I said, I know nothing about FM Starting Point. I would expect a new invoice to be created and the old line items either duplicated and reassigned to the new invoice, or recreated from their values.

I expected the same.  Either way, used the duplicate record method and have moved past this molehill.  Thanks for the input :)