Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Terminal Services limitations for FMP?

smithchuck

This topic is 7372 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm researching the use of FileMaker Pro 6 on Win2K Terminal Server. I've searched the FM Support site and read what I could, but can't find a specific list of limitations of developing/modifying FMP databases from a thin client. The FAQ has this Q&A:

**** begin quote ****

Can users create FileMaker applications in a Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Services environment?

Yes

• 1 year later...

We are now at about month 4 of deploying terminal services. I have been very impressed. It can be cheaper to deploy (purchase FileMaker client for concurrent users instead of each machine), hardware requirements are low, it's fast (dial-up access from users' homes works), data loss is almost nill, print on the network from home, etc. - mark

We've been running FMP version 3.0 (yep, its old) on Terminal Services for 3 or 4 years now and I've been very impressed. I can TS in from home (VPN) in the evening hours and get quite a bit of work done. It's a bit clunky because of the internet & the VPN but its still usable and when you're in the office it works great.

The only caution I have is printing. Printing on the TS can get funky sometimes.

We run TS in the admin mode on every server (1 FMP & about 30 others) so we can get a lot of regular IT business done from our desks without the need to physically stand in front of the servers. We are able to support offices in 3 states along with Taiwan & Korea using TS.

I should also mention that we run 100% of our core business information system (ERP) via TS. No local client installs anywhere, period. In the first year of operation I probably installed 60 patches to the ERP system. If I had to do that to 50 PCs... what a nightmare!

In my opinion, Terminal Services is just plain awesome. No kidding.

This topic is 7372 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.