FM Server and Developer?

This topic is 8257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We are looking at putting some databases on the web for data entry by citizens on the internet and by employees via our intranet. Why would I want to purchase FM Server? I am planning on buying FM Unlimited, but am also wondering do I need FM Server or Developer?

Also, can all these pages that are rendered be edited with Dreamweaver or something else? I need to change the Home Links, and do a few other items. Does Unlimited provide this? I am reviewing this FM Pro right now and do not know how to change the default HTML page that is rendered.

Thanks!

FileMAker Server on a DEDICATED server CPU hosts the files for access by those on the LAN using FileMaker Pro. Those using web browsers for either an Intrannet or the public Internet can access files broadcast by a CPU running FileMaker Unlimited (or multiple such machines in a RAIC). But the files would be hosted on FileMAker Server.

You probably want to use BBEdit to edit CDML tags.

HTH

Old Advance Man

quote:

Originally posted by Old Advance Man:

FileMAker Server on a DEDICATED server CPU hosts the files for access by those on the LAN using FileMaker Pro. Those using web browsers for either an Intrannet or the public Internet can access files broadcast by a CPU running FileMaker Unlimited (or multiple such machines in a RAIC). But the files would be hosted on FileMAker Server.

You probably want to use BBEdit to edit CDML tags.

HTH

Old Advance Man

More setup questions:

1. Can FM Server 5 HOST the webpages for an online database?

2. Or should we have the webpages and the database on a non-server5 machine?

3. Or should we have server 5 host the database, then open the database as a guest on a different machine and have the webpages on the different (non-server 5) machine?

Thanks,

Andrew

quote:

Originally posted by ruadork:

More setup questions:

1. Can FM Server 5 HOST the webpages for an online database?

2. Or should we have the webpages and the database on a non-server5 machine?

3. Or should we have server 5 host the database, then open the database as a guest on a different machine and have the webpages on the different (non-server 5) machine?

Thanks,

Andrew

FileMaker Server does not host files to the web. FileMaker Pro Unlimited does this. Neither should the formatting and error pages be on the server. generally they should be on the same CPU as FileMaker Pro Unlimited if you are NOT using a separate web server such as Apache or IIS. If you are using a separate web server then the formatting pages should go on it.

See the configuration information on the FMI web site.

Do not attempt to run FMPU and FM Server on the same machine.

HTH

Old Advance Man

quote:

FileMaker Server does not host files to the web. FileMaker Pro Unlimited does this.

After reading this thread, I thought it might be helpful to explain once more that FileMaker Server is optional...you CAN run a robust web system using only FileMaker Unlimited to host the databases and the intranet and internet webpages accessed via a browser. FileMaker Server isn't *required* unless you have a lot of databases OR you plan to have the databases accessed directly via the LAN by others with a copy of FileMaker on their computers.

As suggested earlier, custom publishing is the only way to go, but requires you to learn the CDML coding and know HTML well enough to place the CDML on your pages.

I hope this helps! smile.gif" border="0

quote:

> FileMaker Server isn't *required* unless you have a lot of databases

Or unless you want to be sure to protect the integrity of the files thru automated backups or you wish to enhance their security.

Old Advance Man

Exactly. But Razorbx appeared to want to know the minimum requirements, as well as the recommended...didn't mean to appear to contradict your recommendation! blush.gif" border="0

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: MeltDown ]

This topic is 8257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.