Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

local files scripts pointing to server files

nati

This topic is 8289 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm updating a solution that is being served on our server. I have copies of the files locally. On my computer FM is set to no network and each file for the solution is set to no sharing. Nonetheless the external scripts all show the ip of the server. One of the files is being populated from a web page submission and if I have that file open locally the web submission no longer works. What the heck is going on here? Do I need to unplug the Mac from the network to work on these files?

all help appreciated...

n

There are a lot of problems with ScriptMaker scripts conflicting. These prolems are magnified when the web becomes involved since the engine which runs ScriptMaker is single-threaded. Looping scripts create real havoc. For more on this looping script problem you will find code and structure for a demonstration of the problems posted on the cdml forum. Possibly threaded under entertainment or amusement and within the past six months. In fact a little research on that forum will reveal quite a bit to you.

You failed to indicate if you are using Instant (can't do a thing with it) or Custom Web Publishing (a really neat tool).

quote:

One of the files is being populated from a web page submission and if I have that file open locally the web submission no longer works.

For the database to interface to the web the file needs to be opened in FMP and the file shared through Web Companion. If the files are single user and you open the file on another machine, it cannot also be open on the server as well can it, so the web submission won't work.

At this stage I'd suggest you concentrate on the host setup -- it sounds a bit dodgy to me. You should have one computer with fixed IP number dedicated to running FMP or FM Unlimited. This web host machine should be permanently running with FM and the shared databases open. It should not be running another web server program, nor as a file server to optimise performance. It should also have a regular backup schedule and be on a UPS.

The files need not be set to multiuser but they must be shared with Web Companion. (If they are single user then you cannot open them on any other machine at the same time they are hosted.)

The databases should either be stored on the host computer's hard disk, or on a FM Server and opened remotely on the web host -- but definately NOT stored on a network volume (Novell, WinNT, AppleShare etc). All other copies of the databases on all other machines should be zipped or deleted.

BTW the scripts probably show the IP number because they were created when the machine was set up with networking and/or the files were set to multi-user. Or maybe FMP stores the local IP number in the file as default... either way if all the above steps are taken it won't be a problem.

the host machines are dedicated, running nothing but fm server unlimited. they are serving about a dozen db's and have been working for about 2 years. the problem occurs when i copy a program to my local computer and try to work on it.

the file is question is a custom web publishing.

all i want to do is copy the file locally, modify it and then replace the one on the server with the new one. i've turned off web companion and sharing and filemaker on my machine is set to no network. still, when i open the file on my computer with all these things off and then go to the web and make a test submission (this should be going to the server file - the one locally should have no impact on this) the web submission generates an error. if i close the local file then the server file seems to work fine. the local file should not be having any effect on the one running on the server yet it seems to be doing just that.

thanks,

n

First, there is no program "fm server unlimited". FileMAker Pro Unlimited is a version of FileMAker Pro designed for unlimited web based connections. FileMaker Server is designed to host files for LAN/WAN connections to FileMAker Pro. it does not serve files for connections by web browsers.

Second, if you want to make changes in a set of actively running files, I'd recommend you bring the entire set of files over to your local machine. Or better yet, to a machine not connected to the network. Do not copy open files on the server, close them down first, then do the copy.

When you have finished, you can replace the files, being mindful that any data changes made in the active files will not be reflected in the replacement ones.

HTH

Old Advance Man

I'm not sure I'm following what you are attempting. If you are trying to use your computer to edit format files or edit the database files, and then replace those on the server with the edited format and/or db files, why not set up a fake LAN and test it there? It works the same as the web.

The other thing is to make sure that you do not have files scattered around which are the same name, perhaps from a previous edition. Sometimes it seems FMP can find these and get confused.

This topic is 8289 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.