Filemaker Survey Security question

This topic is 8133 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Using FM5, I have created a web-based survey. Respondents connect to the survey and answer questions using a variety of input types (text, radio etc.).

I would like to add an administrative site that would allow me to view and edit respondents' record via the web.

Survey respondents cannot be allowed access to the admin site (to view or modify the responses of others). This would suggest using filemaker security controls to require a username and password. From what I can see, however, respondents must be given browse/write permission in order for their form submissions to update the database. Furthermore, I do not want to burden respondents by requiring a FM username/password.

In summation, I think my main question is:

Is any clean way to provide directory-level security within FileMaker, rather than database-level security?

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas greatly appreciated

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: mmorten ]

Hmmmmm. No usernames/passwords. How are you handling the survey so that a respondent does not answer more than once? Cookies won't work cause they can be erased.

Ok, so you put a link on one page which is the administrative link. This link takes you to a page which requres some form of verification to proceed. Once access is granted a whole new set of format files comes into play.

• Newbies

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts.

Garry: I had been thinking of doing something along these lines. The problem is that one of the main things I want to use the admin database for is to view the survey results and to make adjustments to certain fields. Would it be possible to to view and manipulate the data held in the Survey database through a second admin database?

quote:

Originally posted by Garry Claridge:

The WebSecurity database can still provide no-password access to the Surveys database whilst providing username/password protection for administrative databases.

Garry

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: mmorten ]

This topic is 8133 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.