Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Accessing Field Definitions of Server-hosted files

john white ifc

This topic is 7896 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

(I have posed this message in two forums:

* Hardware & Networking / Windows

* Products / FileMaker Server)

The setting is a client's shop where I work on-site. Here's are the app/OS versions being used:

* I am running FMD 5.5 on Mac OS 9.2

* Most users running FMP 5.0 on Mac OS 9.2

* A handful of users running FMP 5.0 on W2K Pro

* The server is FMS 5.0 on Mac OS 9.2

Using my FMD 5.5, or FMP 5.0 on any of the Macs, I can gain access to a hosted file's Define Fields dialog, as long as there are no other guests logged in to the file.

But from the W2K Pro machines, I get an error message that the command is not available for shared files (same as it was under FMP 4/FMS 3).

Is this difference a function of the platform, or the result of setting certain options? I mean, is it simply not possible under Windows, or is there some setting I can change?

Two more quick questions

From FM 5.0 on Win you should be able to go into define fields the same as on the Mac. The set serial number feature is available in FM 5.5, not just developer. FMI changed the web site not too long ago, the chart was probably too useful to keep on the site. wink.gif

-bd

Thanks, I'm glad to have someone confirm my suspicions that I *should* be able to access field definitions, but I am definitely not being allowed to. The File > Field Definitions command is not greyed out, but when I select it, I get the message "This command cannot be used with a shared file. To use this command, make sure you are the only user of [filename]."

Can you think of any reason why I'm getting this message? Any place I should start looking?

2/ Browsing FileMaker.com a few weeks back, I bumped into a really nice table showing the Feature History of the application. It labels features down the side, and versions across the top, and bullets in the cells indicating a feature is available in a particular versions.

Today I can't find it. Have you seen it? Know where it is? Can you send me the URL?

The file you are thinking of may be the one which is located at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/fm_versions.html

It broadly fits your description! smile.gif

This topic is 7896 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.