Server Maintenance This Week. ×

URGENT - Lost all data

Tom England

This topic is 7888 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have foolishly lost all data from a database. I intended to create a copy of a database, then delete all records in the new database to start a new seperate database with all the original layouts, but ready to put new data in.

Instead of 'Save a copy as' I simply copied the original db, and pasted into a new folder. I have then opened the new db, and deleted all records. What I didn't realise is that when I opened the new db, it actually looked for and opened the original db, and then all records deleted!!!

I have restored it from a backup that was made on Friday (it is just on a normal NT server as does not need to be shared) but just opens with no data in. Is the data stored elsewhere???

Please help as I am currently plotting my route to the job centre!!

This can occur if there is a self join relationship or other relationships to related files where the data is stored, with the "When deleting a record in this file also delete related records" option enabled.

If this is the source of your problem, the starting point would be to open the file and examine the relationships. If the data is elsewhere the define relationships window (assuming you have access) will give you some clues. Hopefully you will be able to restore copies of any related files from last Friday's backups also...

I would also suggest getting rid of ALL copies of your database that exist scattered around your servers. So far you have described the same database as existing on your local machine, your Filemaker Server, your "normal" server (which I assume is you file server) as well as backups.

This can lead to some serious confusion on the part of users and Filemaker itself if it can find the same file in multiple places.

Put the ONLY copy on your Filemaker Server. Work with that copy only. Of course your backups should be done as well, but should not be available for a user to open them without going through the restore process and putting them back on your Filemaker Server.

Also, if you use the "Open()" script step, uncheck the "Save relative path only" checkbox. This prevents a lot of searching. We recently found out that we could reduce the opening time for a database system (on XP) from 47 seconds to 18 seconds by unchecking this box. The problem was the system was checking the parallel port zip drive, which was very slow to poll.

-bd

This topic is 7888 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.