hiding text in value lists

tphunt

This topic is 7904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

When you define a value list by using data from a field AND including data from another field, is there anyway to "hide" the text from the first field in a pop up list?

The data in the first is the match field (id numbers) and the second field is the employee name, which is what I want to be seen in the pop up list.

This is really a follow up question from an earlier post titled 'updating a match field'.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

I made a couple of comments in a further reply to the other thread...

However, I've since thought of another angle you might be able to come at this from:

1. Create a stored and indexed field in your employees database, which concatenates name and ID number (in that order and with a space in between),

2. Base the value list in your main file on this latter field, and attach it to a new text field in your main file

3. Re-define the employeeID field in your main file as a calculating field with a formula along the lines of RightWords(NewTextField, 1)

With this structure in place, 'type-ahead' features will work on the value list. However since the key field will be a calculation, it will not be possible to enter IDs into it directly - they will have to be entered (with or without the preceding name) into the new text field referred to at steps 2 and 3 above.

This topic is 7904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.