looked up records via web

This topic is 8083 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

I have a database that has a drop down menu that I use to select an item from a list of 20 further items, the following field then looks up that selected item and locates all sub items that are related to that selected item - this could number from 10 to 40 sub items. I have this working very well in the database itself.

Now when I try and do the same thing using CDML I have not been able to get it to work.

What I want is for the subfield to get the looked up values after the first field (the DB's are related by the first field) item has been selected. I have tried dynamic display of the value list but to no avail. I have also tried it by creating a new record with just the first item selected and then the next screen is where I would choose the subitem and once selected and submited that page would edit that new record, but that page shows no menu or even select boxes at all, it is not building the looked up values - I fear that via the web it does not do the lookup - I hoep there is a workaround.

I have even tried the use of portals - to no avail.

Can someone please help me I hope I have made the above clear enough - if not please email me or post here and I can explain further.

I should also add I am using FM5.5 Developer on a WinNt machine

Many Thanks

Greg

[ February 26, 2002, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: gwmbox ]

Greg,

This poses the big question of do I preload the value-lists or do I call them each time a selection is made.

If you decide to preload this where you use Javascript arrays to hold the values. Else, you may be able to use dynamic html to reload menus into a layer without reloading the whole page.

All the best.

Garry

Ok the dilemma is how to do it - I have been developing in FieMaker for some time but still learning CDML - Javascripting etc well thats another thing I need to learn. But the layer option is of interest - can you explain how this works please.

As I said all I want is for the looked up values to be dyamically generated based on the selected item of the previus field.

So if Item A is selected it will show Sub items, 1, 3, 4, 5, but if item B is selected it will show maybe 1, 2, 4, 6, 7

There are some sub items that will show up in all main items selected.

Thanks

Greg

hi, i have one sugestion that may be can work. use javaScript.

go to http://www.echoecho.com/

they have a drop down menu. creator tool

so, you can create a basic menu with that tool and then modify it.

The main idea is to use the "onChange" event handler of the value list field. then you can link a function that takes as the argument the selected value in the list field and reload the page sending a FMP request and having your current page as -format page.

I think it would work.

[ February 28, 2002, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: JamedData ]

Like I said new to CDML and javascript - I'll get the drop down menu thing and then see what I can do - any pionters how to get it from the javascript menu to the FMP field. So I am assuming that with teh javascript it will after a select first item it will then go and check with FMP what sub items it should populate the second field with - correct?

Greg

This topic is 8083 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.